Infinitas Bookshop Forums

Forums about science fiction, fantasy books, role playing games, tradable miniatures, books, authors, SF TV and film, etc.
It is currently Wed May 12, 2021 6:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Fantasy / Science Fiction novel that you read
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

G'day all

I'm interested in hearing what books prompted people to start reading science fiction / fantasy novels. :D

So... I'll start the ball rolling.

First fantasy book / Series was Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad) by David Eddings when I was about 14 years old. :) From there I went into Anne McCaffrey's dragon series.

My first science fiction book would have been Anne McCaffrey's The Ship that Sang, though I didn't realise it was technically a 'science fiction' novel when I read it. I love her space opera stuff! :wink:

Keep smiling

Post subject: Re: First Fantasy / Science Fiction novel that you read
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:39 pm 
Infinitas troll

Jay wrote:
I'm interested in hearing what books prompted people to start reading science fiction / fantasy novels. :D

The book that really got me into reading fantasy (although not the first fantasy book I'd read) was Dragons of Autumn Twilight. It was an easy read, and I was drawn in and enjoyed reading it a lot. From there, I starting reading through the AD&D novels, was given some books from family that they'd heard where good and have been lost since then.

I still have that copy of the book as well, although its on the verge of falling apart. Hmmm... maybe I should grab it off the shelves and have a read again of it again :)

Last edited by fastideo on Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:34 am 

First SF: Asimov's Foundation (followed by the other 2 available at the time), sometime around age 10-12. Found in our bookcases at home somewhere, suspect this was dad's.

First Fantasy novel: Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight. Again, sometime between ages 10-12. This one mum had borrowed from her boss, which meant I had to be patient to get the rest, as it depended upon how quickly mum borrowed them.

In year 5 at school we had Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising read to us and I was hooked. It was the first fantasy book / series I went hunting for the others for. I'm looking forward to the movie of this

Cya
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:13 am 

Like Jay my first fantasy book was Pawn of Prophesy quickly followed by the rest of the series (gotta love hand me downs!!). Master Harper of Pern was after this series and as they say the rest is history!! 8)

The first SF was Flinx in a Flux by Alan Dean Foster. Many Star Wars books followed. Actually fantasy is my preferred choice over SF but I'm beginning to widen my horizons with respect to different authors (namely thanks to the Infinitas staff and book reviews!!!)

Rissa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:26 pm 
Infinitas troll

I probably should add my first SF book as well, although I don't read a lot of it. It was Sword of the Lamb, by M K Wren.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:08 am 

The first fantasy book I remember reading was a story adaption of the Ralph Bakshi Lord of the Rings film with colour pics from the film when I was 9. Then the Hobbit, then yep, The Fellowship of the Ring...

Jase

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:05 pm 

Location: Somehow I always find myself gravitating towards the centre of the universe.
The first SF book I ever read was the original Target novel of Dr Who and an Unearthly Child. I still remember when my dad bought a box of about 30 or so of them. I've actually still got them. Some of them are on the verge of falling apart I've had them that long.

First fantasy book was Traci Harding's The Ancient Future. I picked the series up at a flea market somewhere and that kinda got me hooked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:26 pm 

This is a hard one, because I started in primary school, which was a long time ago and I have an atrocious memory. As far as "proper" books go it was probably something by Arthur C Clarke from our school library - something involving a ferris-wheel type space station, which doesn't exactly narrow it down knowing Arthur C Clarke - but the earliest sci fi type book that I can remember (it had quite an impact on me at the time, I was very small) was The Wump World, by Bill Peet. I know it doesn't really count as sci-fi, hee hee, but it definitely appealed to my sense of imagination and wonder - vital in a sci-fi lover. Maybe I'm a greenie because of that book. It certainly made me aware of the power of life - the power of life to recover from what we do to it, for one thing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:49 pm 

Hmm, let's see...

First fantasy was, I believe, The Hobbit at the end of 2nd grade followed by The Lord of the Rings in 3rd grade. First sci-fi would probably have been a Nicholas Fisk, Heinlein, or Harry Harrison from the school library shortly after that. Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle got me hooked on hard sci-fi, it was lent to me by my year 7 English teacher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

Does Beatrix Potter count as fantasy? Talking rabbits and such? I have quite a collection as a child.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:36 am 
Infinitas troll

I'm going to be shot for this... but does the bible count as fantasy? It has got gods, magic, swords, etc... all of the components that make up a fantasy novel :)

If so, its probably the first one I can recall reading / being read to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

Parts of the Bible are definitely fantasy, in fact very well written fantasy. I highly recommend the book of Job as literature.
Some other parts are high fantasy, the parts not used for church readings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:03 am 

First SF was probably Heinlein's Have Spacesuit Will Travel (it was also the first book I *bought* with *my own money*, thus starting a long downward trend :)), although its possible my brother turned me to the dark side with the Skylark books earlier than that.
Fantasy? Not sure, but I remember borrowing a Narnia book from next door, and I must have been under 10 :)

Don't you wish you could go back and read those classics for the first time again? I'm really enjoying watching my kids read my collection for the first time :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:55 pm 

The first fantasies I remember reading were the Chronicles of Narnia and Stephen Lawhead's Dragon King trilogy. I've always preferred fantasy over SF, so I can't remember what the first SF novel I read was ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:51 am 

It's a bit corny, but I think the first fantasy I read was Lord Of The Rings.