Infinitas Bookshop Forums

Forums about science fiction, fantasy books, role playing games, tradable miniatures, books, authors, SF TV and film, etc.
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:40 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Which paperback format do you prefer?
Mass Market / A format (smallest paperback size) 86%  86%  [ 6 ]
B Format (same size as Harry Potter paperbacks) 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7
 Post subject: Changing Formats of Books
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:07 pm 

There has been a trend recently for publishers to start reprinting books that were previously in mass-market / A format (the smallest size) in B format (eg. Harry Potter size) instead. I've spoken to publishers, and they seem to think that it's a more convenient size for readers and that readers prefer it. The readers *I've* spoken to seem to prefer the mass market.

So, what's your opinion, and why? Please vote in the poll. I'd love to get a feeling for what is the case across all of our readership. Basically, if you had the choice to buy the same book in the two different formats, which would you choose.

I'll get it started...
Dan's opinion: I prefer mass market format. It doesn't get as damaged in my bag for reading on public transport. Plus I have my (too many) bookcases set up for it, and the shelves won't fit the B format.

Cya
Dan

PS. I've excluded Trade paperback (the largest size) because most books are published as first as either (sometimes both) hardcover or trade paperback, then later as *either* mass market or B format paperback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:43 pm 
Infinitas troll

I prefer the smaller (A size) paperbacks. Most of the ones that I've picked up over the years have been that size, and I find it a pain that some of the publishers are starting to print paperbacks that are larger (B size). It makes my books look uneven on the shelves, as some of them are slighter larger than the others :(

Having said that, I'm sure that if the majority of my books where in the B format, then I would prefer them :)

Post subject: Changing format size for books
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

Dan

I much prefer the mass market size. Like you, I have many bookcases and they just fit the Mass market size better than the B Size books. Like you said, they also fit better in bags for when your travelling etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:10 am 

Another vote for mass market size from me. The beauty of a paperback as opposed to a hardcover/trade paperback is that it is compact. The mass market size has been around for a long time now and has worked perfectly well for all that time and I find it hard to believe there has been a significant number of readers (or indeed any) contacting publishers and asking for books to be printed in a slightly larger format so that the publishers can have an excuse for charging even more for them than they currently do.

Yes, I am a cynic :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:37 pm 

My preference is for B-Format. I don't like the full 9" trade format, but on the other hand, I think mass market is too small. The paper is generally thinner and cheaper and the spine creases more easily. Obviously publishers do it to make a more affordable book, but the B-Format is a good compromise between price and quality. Havaing said that, mass market titles aren't necessarily all that cheap these days either. I keep thinking how a title like Perdido Street Station would have benefited from a B-Format edition, rather than PanMac's squishy mass market one that creases as soon as you look at it. Neil Gaiman's books are tasty in B-format, as are the SF and Fantasy Masterworks. Bantam Spectra do a good quality book as well (in terms of paper and cover), though their actual page layout and overall design are sometimes a little strange.